“Love is a many splendored thing.”– Paul Francis Webster
There are 3 types of love I mention in the “Matters of the Heart” workshop and webinar: self-love, love of others, and the love search. If you took a good look, how would you measure up in these areas?
How is your self-love?
This is the foundation of all love. If we do not have self-love, how can we love others? If our own love bucket is empty, we have nothing to give. We could all use a little more self-love! Here are some tips to get you back on your feet:
- Make a list of things that bring you joy (and do one daily!)
- Love your mind and spirit: journal/meditate/pray/be still/practice mindfulness/use affirmations
- Love your body — nutrition and exercise
- Give yourself some supportive “mirror time” (Take a good look and like what you see!)
- The Artist’s Date — Take yourself out on a creative date!
- Surround yourself with loving people
- Discover and implement your love language on yourself (from the 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman)
How is your relationship love bank?
Gary Chapman, relationship counselor, tells us that there are 5 Love Languages:
1.Words of Affirmation
3.Acts of Service
Which resonates with you? (Be honest!) In every successful relationship — whether conscious of it or not — each partner is communicating love through his/her partner’s love language. To show your partner/child/friend how much you care, identify his/her love language. Take the assessment at the link above, or think about the times when your partner seemed to glow the most. Or when they seemed to complain the most!
Irene Schreiner of solidfoundationstherapy.com says that a relationship is made up of 3 parts: partner #1, partner #2, and the relationship. A healthy relationship takes work and must be treated like a job — or a new puppy! We only have control of ourselves, and when making decisions and requests, we must always consider the relationship.
Looking for Love?
For those looking for new love, these 4 tips are for you
- Decide for love. Your dream partner is a part of your vision for you life! Decide you will have love (and strongly!) and the universe will respond in kind.
- Create a vision of your partner (including “This or something better”!) The Law of Specificity tells us to feed our inner mind very specific pictures! The clearer our description, the easier it is to find what we are looking for. Just be open to something even better than you were able to imagine on your own!
- BE your ideal partner. Opposites attract, but like also attracts like. Work on yourself to be the best you can be. You will find someone who resonates with that frequency.
- Start living the life you’d live with your partner. Why wait to go out and have fun until you have that special someone by your side? Make ready for your partner by living the life you’d love to be sharing with him/her. Plus, you just might end up bumping into each other!
No one is perfect at love — so which area is calling to you for some extra attention? Pick an action step today, and let’s turn up the heat on that thermostat of love!
Much love, many blessings. ❤