It was a sweltering hot but beautiful day in Chicago today.
This morning my friend and I were walking together in the “Families Belong Together” March in Chicago. We were observing the signs the marchers were carrying, and she said, “I now know what sign I could have made: ‘I am the daughter of a refugee.'” I reflected and realized that I had a connection, too. My great grandfather also was a refugee, a priest fleeing the Ukraine during the time of Stalin and the USSR. Suddenly I had another reason I was there.
Sometimes I don’t know how I want to navigate the politically-charged waters. I don’t have all of the answers. There are many sides to every issue. I value harmony. I also value discussion.
I do know that I liked the positive title of the march and many of the messages I heard at the rally today. There’s something magical about people coming together. There’s a magic and an energy when people participate in a movement, share ideas, and come together for positive change.
I came today intending to be a supportive and peaceful presence — and to march! And so I did. I was also gifted something beautiful — a reminder of a very special refugee, one who was a reason I am here today.
Much love and many blessings. ❤
I’ve missed quite a few days, so I have plenty to be grateful for! (List ensuing. . .)
I am grateful . . .
- that I have only seen a few solo carpenter ants in the house, and not multitudes of them.
- that I have the musical as something of consistency in my life right now.
- that eventually, if I scrub hard enough, the disgusting old-dishes-smell leaves my hands.
- for visits with old friends, who are actually going through similar issues, even though their lives have taken quite a different turn from yours.
- for my first media opportunity (at a local media station)!
- for long drives into Chicago that remind me that I DO NOT want to make lots of long drives into Chicago. . .
- for people who respond to my inquiries.
- for a leaky ceiling that has stopped leaking.
- for a messed up toilet that Brian was able to fix. . .
- for a dripping air conditioner that is not flooding the floor (yet :-/).
- for my new 15-minute time block plan, which seems to be going better than the old 30-minute one (mindless housecleaning –> computer work; i.e. e-mail, other media, or blog –> working on the office –> REPEAT).
- for getting some time alone to get some work done.
- for having company when Brian gets home. 🙂
. . . and that’s all for now! 15 minutes is up. . .