This is a shoutout to one particular set of my tutoring parents who are super, super awesome. I’d like to start by saying that many parents have been awesome , supportive, and thankful for my services this year, but I am amazed by this particular pair. (I will not name names — I will call them “Dad” and “Mom”–, but that won’t stop me from lauding their coolness!)
Why they are so awesome:
- They didn’t interview me in person; I came in and started right to work! (Very trusting!)
- They wanted me to tutor writing and clarinet – two of my favorite things!
- The lessons are for enrichment, so I have a bit of freedom in my planning.
- They offered me water during my first lesson. (After that I started bringing water bottles, so they didn’t need to give me anything.)
- They told me they were concerned that I wasn’t getting paid enough through the tutoring company.
- They invited me to stay for lunch one time when they had an exchange student staying.
- They ask me “if it’s ok” when they are cancelling a lesson ahead of time.
- They have no problem with me needing to cancel ahead of time.
- They told me not to come if it’s snowing.
- Chocolate for Christmas!
- This last lesson when I asked to take off my shoes because they had snow on them, Dad brought me slippers to use, since I was in socks! At the end of the lesson Mom carried my shoes across the floor for me so that I could walk through the garage on my way out and avoid the snow.
- We’ve had lesson for over half a year together, and we’re still going strong!
And generally, these parents are the sweetest, most polite and friendly people I have ever worked with. It is a pleasure to enter their home. They lift me up and inspire me to try to be just as caring.
Kudos, Mom and Dad!